Templar Lodge is a beautiful historical timber building with extensive verandas and a grand hall. Templar Lodge was built in the 1950’s as a meeting place for local Freemasons. Their purpose was to “make better men out of good men.” During their monthly meetings, local members would strive to “Strengthen their character by improving their moral and spiritual outlook and broadening their mental horizons.”
The new lodge was cleverly named the Lodge of Beauty in reference to the newly formed hydro electricity construction township of Mount Beauty. The lodge was also the scene of many good times and celebrations. Older locals have fond memories of weddings and parties held in the hall. The Lodge was eventually disbanded and the hall sold.
New owners conducted extensive renovations, adding a large verandah and residence, purpose-built to enjoy the views of Mount Bogong. They operated The Sandstone Galleries and Tea Rooms.
In 2005 Stan Cantwell and Tan Tryhorn bought the building and operated The Ivory Rooms, A popular local restaurant. They closed the restaurant to focus on careers as Ski Patrollers at Falls Creek. Templar Lodge commenced operation in July 2018.